The cloud‑native scenario is rapidly evolving, and new trends such as autopilot, app manager, serverless, and container services emerge every day. Runtime environments increase in size and complexity, while Kubernetes is becoming a de facto standard for modern application development.
Keeping up with these new technologies can be challenging, and that’s why developers need a solution to enhance their everyday work. Nowadays, IT managers’ job is to find a way to manage the complexity of the cloud‑native ecosystem to ensure a simple, automated, self‑service development experience for their teams.
Mia-Platform v9.0 offers a new way to smoothly manage the evolution of cloud‑native applications and runtime environments on Kubernetes. Our goal is to lighten the workload of everyone involved in the software lifecycle, allowing managers to focus on the business logic and developers to focus on the code: a code that works, a code that performs, and a code that evolves.
Let's find out how Mia‑Platform v9.0 is helping to make the cloud‑native ecosystem richer yet easier to manage. Watch our video pills to learn about the platform's new features directly from the voices of the Mia‑Platform people behind such a comprehensive and easy‑to‑use product.
Mia‑Platform Fast Data meets Low Code functionality
Mia‑Platform Fast Data is our data management layer that allows you to leverage your company Fast Data, i.e., data that should always be available and updated 24/7 to drive business decisions. Mia‑Platform Fast Data is the tool that enables the building of your Digital Integration Hub: our solution collects data from every System of Records within your organization, aggregating it into single views to make it available in near real‑time.
With Mia‑Platform v9.0, we improved our solution with new Low Code functionality. In particular, we made the configuration phase way faster: now you’ll just need to write declarative JSON files. We also simplified the creation of Projections within a System of Records: you can now import a DDL Schema file to create all the projections in just a few clicks.
These new capabilities aim to simplify and accelerate the configuration process, as well as to reduce the probability of mistakes being made in the process itself.
Make your services valuable assets with an External Developer Portal
APIs are now a key‑assets for digital transformation. New ways to share, consume, and expose APIs are emerging. One of the most popular tools is the External Developer Portal, which is a portal that allows you to easily and securely expose your APIs and documentation to developers outside your organization. According to Google Apigee, 52% of IT decision‑makers believe that External Developer Portals can accelerate innovation, proving the opportunities this solution can generate.
Mia-Platform v9.0 provides you with a ready‑to‑use External Developer Portal, available as a pre-configured bundle of microservices that you can quickly install, without building it from scratch. In no time, you can expose your APIs, SDKs, and any other digital services to external developers.
Here are some reasons why you should create an External Developer Portal:
- Forge new business partnerships, because integration is easier thanks to it;
- Expand the reach of your APIs by creating partner communities;
- Showcase services with which you serve customers;
- Create new revenue models using API‑as‑a‑product.
Seamlessly manage your content with Mia‑Platform Back Office
Mia‑Platform Back Office is a headless CMS that allows you to manage contents, no matter the channel you want to expose them to. It focuses entirely on the administrative interface for business and non‑technical people and facilitates collaboration and contents’ organization.
With Mia‑Platform v9.0, we improved it with new functionalities such as data export, nested objects views, analytics configuration, lookup live‑search, and linked fields, allowing your business people to:
- Manage content with a modern UX/UI and a white‑label interface;
- Visualize data with an immediate overview of the insights and analytics;
- Effectively use your contents with an omnichannel approach.
Easily manage authorization policies thanks to RBAC
When it comes to managing enterprise data in a platform used by many different people, sooner or later, you will face the need to have these people work on a restricted set of data with a different set of capabilities. That is why we implemented our RBAC (Role‑Based Access Control) solution within Mia‑Platform Console, leveraging Open Policy Agent.
Here is a shortlist of the main benefits you will experience adopting RBAC:
- Governance simplification;
- Cost reduction;
- Manual activity cut;
- Security improvement;
- Monitoring streamlining.
Want to know more about our RBAC solution? Read here how and why we implemented it.
Enhanced your data security and accessibility by using CRUD Service
Nowadays, data drives most companies, no matter the industry they belong to. Leveraging MongoDB technology, we improved our CRUD Service, enhancing data security and accessibility.
In particular, these new features are now generally available:
- CRUD encryption: this helps you make private all the information available through the CRUD Service;
- Query on encrypted data: it allows you to search among encrypted fields with a simple API call;
- MongoDB views: these views make your data easy to manage, enhancing the way you serve channels, improving data readable performance, and enriching them with business logic;
- Enhanced GDPR Compliance: you can now highlight sensitive data and assign them to different secrecy levels, ensuring that confidential data is only accessible to the right people.
This is not the end: discover all Mia‑Platform’s new capabilities
Developers are the very heart of our platform, and we are committed to create an even more efficient, technological, and self‑service product. For this reason, we introduced some new capabilities to help them in their daily work. Let’s find out the main updates:
- Overall monitoring and governance improvements, in particular:
- Endpoint Overview: a complete overview at the Company level. You can filter your projects, find out project ownerships, identify the routes to see if they are public and published on the API Portal, whether and which group of users have the access permissions, and the attached decorators.
- New Homepage: an alternative homepage to improve governance and monitoring, by giving you an overview of your environments, showing all the core information and metrics, such as pod and resources status, at the first screen.
- Runtime area: full governance for your projects, showing you core information, such as multi-log, pods, and events descriptions;
- Granular User permissions: with RBAC integration and OPA policy, we are now able to assign roles to users, showing and giving access to specific datasets and functionality. A hierarchical and granular experience for a more self‑service Mia‑Platform Console. By default, you will have specific permission associated to different user roles, such as Company Owner, Project Administrator, Maintainer, Developer, Reporter, and Guest.
- Envoy Proxy: we strengthen our vision on Kubernetes, adding Envoy Proxy as an alternative API microgateway. Envoy Proxy is designed for Kubernetes ecosystems and it supports all the features for managing distributed architectures. Directly manage Envoy Proxy and define API endpoints with Mia‑Platform easy‑to‑use Console.
- New integrations: we added new tools and technologies that allow a better usage of Mia‑Platform Console, taking advantage of its full potential. With these new implementations we aim to give to our partners and clients:
- Better Governance;
- Risk management;
- Improved security;
- Sustainability approach, thanks to kube‑green;
- Overall improved Developer Experience of our product.
A growing Marketplace to accelerate your developments and foster components reuse
Mia‑Platform Marketplace, our Service Catalog, is rapidly growing, thanks to its open approach. We opened up our Service Catalog to external partners specialized in different industries (insurance, banking, healthcare, utility, transportation, retail, etc..) and technologies, fostering innovation and collaboration. In the Marketplace you can find a wide selection of ready‑to‑use plugins built by us and our partners, as well as open‑source templates and examples to add to your deployments, reducing both time and cost of development.
We’ll keep adding new services to our Marketplace so that it helps you boost your projects.
We believe modern software development is about agility, composability, interconnection, and the ability to bring value to customers by making innovations together.
That’s exactly what Mia‑Platform v9.0 is about: industrializing software engineering to deliver better applications, by giving a great Developer Experience to your team and simplifying users’ lives
As we always say: don’t waste time setting up your platform, just push the code!
© MIA s.r.l. All rights reserved